Embracing Tradition with a Modern Twist: My Experience with Bulga's "Isis Wings" Footwear

A couple of years ago, I was scrolling through Instagram one late night when I really should have been sleeping, as you would, when I came across the "Bulga" and me being me, and being more excited about shoes I like more than most things in life, I was immediately hooked. As someone who appreciates the fusion of tradition and modernity, I was excited to discover Bulga, as the name suggests its a company that has reimagined the classic Egyptian "Bulga" footwear. I tired to dig into the history of the Bulga and according to some of my Saeedy family members the Bulga was originally worn by male farmers in Upper Egypt and now still very much being worn by Delta farmers and some Beduin tribes. But this traditional design has been given a fresh, contemporary look, making it accessible to both men and women. After having them on my "to-buy" list for months on end, I took my little girl one Ramadan evening and went down to their shop in Downtown Cairo and purchased the "Isis Wings" model in the light brown color, and after wearing them all summer, I'm ready to share my thoughts.

Pros:

  • Comfortable and Durable: From the first step, I could feel the quality. The genuine leather molds to your feet, offering a level of comfort that only improves with time. Despite daily wear, they still look as good as new.
  • Handmade Embroidery: The design is inspired by the wings of the goddess Isis, adding a unique, artistic touch. The embroidery is exquisite and makes these shoes stand out, giving my feet a cool, stylish appearance.
  • Versatile Style: The light brown color is a versatile choice that pairs well with a variety of outfits, from casual jeans to more dressed-up looks. I wear them to work with a little dress or with some colorful trousers. I wear them to go shopping, I did not pack any other shoe on my beach vacation. I also wear them to visit family and to go out in casual setting.
  • Price: I cannot say they are affordable, but for someone like me who have decidedly moved away from PET shoes and buying more traditional genuine leather items the price is fair.

Cons:

  • Breaking Them In: While the shoes are comfortable now, they did require a day to break in. This is a minor inconvenience, but something to be aware of if you're planning to wear them for long periods right out of the box.
  • Cleaning Dilemma: I haven't yet figured out the best way to clean them without damaging the leather or the delicate embroidery. If anyone has tips, I'd love to hear them!
  • Driving with an Open Ankle: This is not a flow on their part to be honest, any open back shoes have the same issue where my ankles can get stained if I drive too long with an open back shoe. This is one of the reasons that next on my list is one of their more closed shoe options. That and the fact that summer is over!

Verdict:

I'm genuinely thrilled with my Bulga "Isis Wings" shoes. They combine tradition, craftsmanship, and style in a way that's hard to find. In fact, I love them so much that I'm already eyeing the black version and am curious to try the sandals and other shoes from Bulga. If you're looking for something that blends comfort, durability, and a touch of Egyptian heritage, I highly recommend giving these a try.

Comments

Podcast

Mail Chimp embedded form

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Popular Posts