The Golden Era of YouTube Beauty Gurus: A Journey Through My Makeup Memories


There was something magical about watching YouTube beauty gurus between 2013 and 2015. It was an era where beauty felt raw, personal, and incredibly influential. If you, like me, spent hours watching the likes of Pixiwoo, Tati Westbrook, KathleenLights, and other OG beauty names, you probably know what I mean.

A Nostalgic Scroll Through Beauty Videos

Back then, my evenings often involved grabbing my laptop and binge-watching beauty tutorials and hauls. Whether it was a sultry smokey eye with Pixiwoo or a comprehensive review from Tati, I felt like I was getting expert advice from friends. The excitement of discovering new products and learning techniques was addictive. We were part of a community, united by our love for makeup and the artistry that came with it.

The Products That Defined an Era

The products that graced the screens of our favorite beauty gurus quickly became staples in our collections. I still remember rushing to get my hands on Sleek eyeshadows. The pigments, the buttery texture—how could we resist? And who could forget the Maybelline 24 Hour Tattoo eyeshadows, perfect for an effortlessly bold look that lasted all day? I swear I would stockpile those if they were still around today!

Of course, no makeup look was complete without the iconic Rimmel Kate Moss lipsticks. Every swatch was a promise of glamor in a bullet. And then there was Becca’s Champagne Pop, the holy grail of highlighters, which felt like a rite of passage for any beauty lover. I can't reminisce without mentioning the magical Farsali Unicorn Essence, a product that felt more like a potion than a primer.
Even our tools had their own cult following. The Beauty Blender was a revelation in blending foundation, giving a flawless finish that brushes just couldn’t replicate. Elf and Real Techniques brushes were the affordable, reliable workhorses in our collections, beloved for their quality without breaking the bank.

How Beauty Gurus Shaped My Makeup Collection

These beauty gurus didn’t just teach us how to apply makeup—they influenced our buying decisions in ways we didn’t even realize at the time. I didn’t buy a lipstick unless it had been featured in a YouTube tutorial. I’d watch a 10-minute video about a product review and feel completely convinced it needed to be in my shopping cart.

Their recommendations felt genuine back then, and because of that, I trusted them with every purchase. In fact, most of my makeup collection from those years was a direct result of their influence. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss the simplicity of it all.

When Social Media Was Simpler

It wasn’t just the products or the tutorials—it was the platform itself. YouTube was a space where creativity and community came together. There was a feeling of connection, not only to the beauty gurus but also to fellow viewers who shared your obsession. We’d read the comments, learn from each other, and exchange tips. Social media felt more authentic then. It wasn’t about sponsorships or ads; it was about passion, creativity, and sharing knowledge.

Looking back now, it’s hard not to feel nostalgic. Those years shaped my love for makeup and defined my buying habits in ways I still reflect on today. While beauty influencers and social media have evolved, I’ll always cherish the era when it all felt so pure and simple.

Comments

Podcast

Mail Chimp embedded form

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Popular Posts